Care and Maintenance
Film Dry-out Time:
The mounting solution used during the installation of your Solar Gard window
film may require a dry-out time. Cold or non-sunny weather conditions can
lengthen the dry-out time, while warm weather and direct sun light exposure
will shorten the dry-out time. Small water beads and a slightly cloudy look
may appear during the dry-out time. If slow drying does occur, do not
become alarmed. The film will dry-out. The windows must remain in the closed
position for a minimum of 48 hours.
DO NOT CLEAN THE FILM FOR 30 DAYS AFTER INSTALLATION.
To maximise the life of the window film, please follow these instructions
for proper care and maintenance.
- A soft, damp cloth or chamois is recommended for general cleaning with use of mild dish washing liquid for removal of greasy marks. Do not use abrasive cloths, brushes or powder on the film. Do not use ammonia based or other strong cleaning products.
- To avoid scratching the film do not use bristle brushes, abrasive scrubbing sponges, or any cleaning materials that may have been contaminated with dirt particles, as is commonly the case when washing interior and exterior windows with the same cleaning materials.
- Some brands of paper towels are coarse enough to put fine scratches in the film – even films with scratch resistant, protective hard coat finish. While these scratches may be too thin to be seen at the beginning, they can damage the polished look of the film over time.
- A few small particles or “points” may remain. They are generally visible only from the outside and are inherent to film adhesives. These points or light reflections do not affect the heat, glare or fade reduction performance of the film in any way.
The barely visible border around the edges ensure that the film is properly sealed and bonded to the glass. Do not pick at the edges of the film as the seal, once broken, provides a possible source of contamination.
- A slightly hazy or milky appearance, caused by water between the film and the glass will be evident for several days after application. Don’t be concerned – it will disappear and the film will be optically clear.
Window film installations are rarely carried out in a completely dust free environment. As a consequence, installation can sometimes trap small dirt particles, fibres, small air bubbles and the like under the film. Such inclusions are concurrent with industry best practice if unobtrusive and small in number.